Epsom RDA provides opportunities for disabled people to improve their health and well-being through the therapeutic power of horses.
We are a thriving charity providing therapy, fun and achievement for over 200 disabled participants delivered by a team of volunteers and our own herd of ponies. We have exciting plans for growth and to increase the range of activities we offer.
To assist us in this we are looking for a new trustee with responsibility for participation development. We are looking for someone with a good knowledge and understanding of how to increase participation in horse related activities. As we are entirely run by volunteers, trustees need to be hands on and be able to collaborate with volunteers to achieve our aims.
The core purpose of the role is to develop and enhance our current offer and increase the number of people we can help. Key activities are to:
- Develop and deliver a plan to increase opportunities for participants to benefit from interactions with horses, including those which do not involve riding e.g. tea with a pony, pony care and stable management sessions;
- Ensure that all sessions, both ridden and non-ridden, enable as many people to participate as possible;
- Work with our therapists and volunteers to develop our new Hippotherapy offer;
- Work with Session Leaders to ensure that volunteers have appropriate training and a clear understanding of their duties before any new session is introduced;
- Develop and deliver a plan for measuring our impact to ensure that Epsom RDA delivers a worthwhile and enjoyable experience for all our participants;
- Be the link between trustees and session leaders, proactively considering how sessions can be improved;
• Be the trustee representative on the training team which is a volunteer led working group that ensures our volunteers are equipped to deliver their work safely and effectively;
- Work with the horse and pony trustee to increase participation in RDA disciplines including show jumping, endurance, countryside challenge and dressage;
- Continually look for new opportunities, keeping up to date with the work of RDAs across the country and seek out new ideas and opportunities.
This role would suit someone who has experience working or volunteering in an equine establishment, ideally for disabled people.
Whilst there are no set hours, given the hands-on nature of our trustee roles, the successful candidate will need to commit to a minimum of three hours per week and will be expected to volunteer at the ERDA yard in Epsom.
We foster an environment that is inclusive as well as diverse, where our people can be themselves. Every idea and perspective is valued so that we can reflect the community we serve.
To apply, please email email@example.com with a personal statement of no more than one page, setting out how your skills, experience and interests would make you a good fit for the role.
For an informal chat about the role, please email laura.Hales@epsomrda.org.uk.